Sorrel and Potato Gratin
With a side salad, this serves 6 people, or 2 people over 3 nights.
700g peeled potatoes (i.e. charlottes, something that is happy being boiled)250g sorrel shredded – make sure tougher stalks are cut out
2-3 large garlic cloves
284ml double cream
Optional topping: cheddar cheese, or a mix of cheddar and Parmesan cheese
1. Turn oven on to 180 degrees
2. Butter the dish
3. Crush the garlic into the buttered dish
4. Slice the potatoes into thin pieces (not wafer thin, but not too thick either), This is a good point for a Spoonie rest, if you haven't had one already.
5. Place ½ of the sliced potatoes on top of the garlic
6. Place ½ of the sorrel over the potatoes
7. Repeat with potatoes and sorrel. When complete, you can put the dish in the fridge and rest, coming back to complete it's cooking later.
8. Place the cream and milk into a pot, add pepper and bring to a gentle boil
9. Pour cream and milk evenly over the sorrel and potatoes in the dish
10. Cover dish (with lid or with tin foil)
11. Cook for 1hr under cover, and of course have another rest.
12. Remove the lid and add the cheese (but skip this step if you don’t want cheese)
13. Bake until potatoes are tender and cream is thick, for about 20 minutes more.
14. Serve with a side salad.
See also my Sorrel and Mushroom Pasta recipe and my post on why sorrel is an easy vegetable to grow for Spoonies.