We got rid of the sheds immediately on Freegle, as we have a large garage that is basically my garden shed, so didn’t need these. They were taking up growing space. Of course, once they were removed, this is what was behind them:
Ignore the beehive shaped items, they are my compost bins, but otherwise, quite the mess*, and you can see how much the conifers were trying to take over. Even as all this was being done, I was thinking about my interim new layout, which I now present:
Originally I was going to have one long bed on the right-hand side, next to the beech hedge. But then we realised it would make trimming the hedge very difficult. So I changed this to the three beds you now see. The spacing allows you to both access the hedge more easily, but also walk around the beds to view the plants from different positions. It’s a much better and more interesting layout too. These beds are north-facing, but still get a lot of sun. So they will be for ornamentals only, including some that like a shadier spot. The shade will develop over time as the Acers I’m planting** grow and provide dappled light.
Alongside the hard standing on the left are two beds with my arch in the middle. Because I have acid soil, I’m unable to plant my clematis direct to the soil, so I will be putting them on each side of the arch. These two beds get sun all year around, and will be a mix of herbs, some vegetables and some ornamentals.
The L-shaped bed will be for vegetables. I’m not growing a lot of vegetables at the moment, as they require more attention and energy than I can give nor have. So it will be for easy to grow veg, like my garlic, sorrel and salads.
Finally, the old dilapidated fencing has been replaced. I’m still trying to work out exactly what I’m going to do with this area. There will be a border along the fence, and probably where the pergola is going, but ideas are still whirling around in my head.
All this, along with the Raspberry border, completes the work for now. I have plans for the rest of the garden, including a pond and the pergola, but they are for next year. I also know that there is an issue with some standing water over parts of the grass, when we get lots of rain, and I need to work out how to manage that.
This interim design allows me to get plants into the ground, and the raised beds will make things easier on my back and my energy levels. I can now start gardening whilst I still work out what to do with the rest of the garden. Plus, time to save for the next round of work.
Now that the landscaping has been completed, next up is the planting – the best bit!
* * * * *
My landscaper was Mark Spence, John and Jordan, of Spences Landscapes, Sheffield. They did a fine job and I definitely recommend them.
*I blogged about this in my original new garden blogpost, so I’ll not repeat myself here.
**I’ll talk about the actual plants once they start going in the ground.
3 thoughts on “An interim design for the new back garden”
The raised beds look excellent and should make life much easier for you.
That looks really good. And happened so quickly! All the better to make good use of the growing season. Enjoy the fun bit!
This is looking good! Can't wait to see how it progresses.